LightningRing Frequently Asked Questions
- What is LightningRing?
- LightningRing is a brand new international web directory that contains weather related websites with personal lightning detectors and software.
- It allows you to submit your website to be listed, rated, and viewed by geographical location.
- Unlike other lightning related sites, LightningRing does not care where you are located, or what type of hardware/software you use. The only limitation is that you upload local lightning data on your web page.
- Also unlike other weather related top sites, LightningRing also contains a google map that plots all known personal lightning detectors, with links in the information windows.
- How does it work?
- Once you put the Button Code (provided when you join, or can be viewed using the control panel) on your site, a counter at LightningRing is incremented when it's clicked.
- Everytime someone clicks the LightningRing Button on your website, they actually Vote for your site!
- Visitors to LightningRing can then view the listings and rate and review your website.
- The more people that "vote" for your site, the higher your daily ranking. Your average ranking is taken on the average number of votes per week.
- How long does it take for my website to show up in the list?
- Immediately! Website submissions are approved automatically, and I receive an email to verify the submitted site contains lightning related content.
- If it does not contain lightning related content, it will be removed.
- Does it also automatically put my location on the Google Map?
- Not at this time - I have to do that manually.
- Click on the link right above the Google Map and fill out the on-line form to get your station added to the map.
- Do I need the Button Code?
- Yes! In order for LightningRing to be able to rank your site and track hits you must install the button code on your website. It looks like the button below:
- Where should I put the code?
- Your homepage is probably the best choice, however if your visitors arrive at another page via a bookmark or favorites link their visit won't register.
- The best solution is to put the Button Code on an element that appears on every page, such as a border or frame.
- As an alternative you can put it manually on every page in your site to maximize your hit count.
- When do the daily stats reset?
- LightningRing resets daily page views at midnight Pacific Time.
- What type and how big can my Banner URL image be?
- You can use any weather or lightning related banner/sticker you want - provided it is not bigger than 500 pixels wide by 100 pixels tall.
- If you would like to use a banner for the lightning detection software you use, you can cut and past the following URL in the banner URL:
- For NexStorm use: http://www.lightningring.com/nxonline.gif
- For Aninoquisi use: http://www.lightningring.com/aninoquisi.jpg
- For SuperCell use: http://www.lightningring.com/supercell.gif
- For Boltek use: http://www.lightningring.com/stormtrackersoftware.gif
- If you use a different software let me know and I will add an image
Where do I find my button code?
- Your unique Button Code is sent to you at the time of registration, and can be retrieved at any later date in the Control Panel
Why is my ranking at Zero?
- If your ranking is a zero, the most common problem is because your code is not correctly inserted on your website pages.
- Check your unique code in the user control panel. Alternatively, it is because you have not yet received a unique vote for that week.
What does it cost?
- The listing service is free.
Why wont the registration process accept my banner URL?
- Usually because the banner size is bigger than 500X100 pixels.
- If you want to display your banner, please make sure its within these limits.
Why can't I get to my Control Panel?
- If you have problems getting to the Control Panel, hold down the "shift" key when you click the link and this will open it in a new window.
Why does it take so long to load?
- The google map reloads everytime you make a selection (sorry - but that is the way it works).
What if I have trouble registering, or a question, or need help?
Return to Home Page 30 Sep 2007
This site is © Copyright Paul L Herrman 2004-2010, All Rights Reserved.